Vortech supercharged 460 help needed

Vehicle specific forum for tuning the Foxbody Chassis Mustangs utilizing the LUX0, GUFA, GUFB, and GUF1 Strategy

Vortech supercharged 460 help needed

Unread postby Big Boss Pushkin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 pm

I have a 79 f150. The current 460 engine is a 1993 thats converted to mass air A9P with a quarterhorse. 24lb injectors and 80 mm mass air. It was running great till water got in and filled up the whole damn gas tank.

I ordered a polyethylene gas tank and we'll be cleaning out the whole system. I'm running 3/8" lines supply and return. Pump is a 340 lph aeromotive stealth. The tank will be a 1996 f250 replacement.

So once I get this back to running good again I plan to install the kinda rare vortech supercharger.

Where I need help is should I ditch the FMU and go with bigger injectors? It seems like more crap to fail or a bandaid.

Also what injectors Should I get? Ford green 42lb? Seimens deka 60lb? What will be a good overkill choice? And have all the info I need for the binary Editor software.

I have the vortech BTM (MSD unit) and a MSD 6AL box to wire up. Unless there is no reason to use a BTM?

It's been a couple years since I've done any of the tuning stuff so I've forgotten a lot please excuse me.
Big Boss Pushkin
General Poster

Name: Dave
Vehicle Information: 1979 F150 mass air 460 A9P with moates quarterhorse. C6 trans, 3.70 rear gears. 80 MM mass air, Soon to be vortech supercharged

Re: Vortech supercharged 460 help needed

Unread postby decipha » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:01 pm

welcome to the forum dave

I always liked those older trucks I always make sure I stop by when I see them at car shows, if for nothing else they all usually have pretty interesting stories

if u got water through the lines then it would be best to yank the injectors and rails / lines out along with the regulator and back flush all that as well. I recommend using acetone to clean it all out as it works decent.

yea I would ditch the 24s and toss in some siemens deka 80s from chris at poweraddersolutions. Tell him decipha @ EFI Dyno Tuning referred you and he will take good care of you.

the info for the injectors are on the homepage under references >> injector data

nope dont need the btm the 6al is fine, the ecu sees boost as load so you control timing in boost in the spark table same as u would otherwise

it will all come back to you in no time

btw, I maintain all the free DIY tuning support for TunerPro along with my own modified A9L2 and GUFX strategy all available on the homepage as free downloads. I'm partial to my own stuff as is most people that do development but its undeniable I have ALOT more features in my own stuff than anyone else.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Unread postby Big Boss Pushkin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:48 am

Thank you I appreciate the help! I started with your A9L2 strategy and only made a few tweaks to get running.

The truck was my grandpa's since new. It's no show queen since it had 505K miles before the original 460 blew 3 rods at once. It only had 2 head jobs on the original engine as well. It's a 1979 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer special. As much as I'd like to repaint it to the original color I will likely leave it as my grandpa had it. Those 505k miles were rough miles everyone drove it hard. It still had the original oem C6 transmission after the engine blew. The only thing that hurt it was a crappy starter broke and ended up cracking the case in the bell housing area....

About 11 years ago I put the EFI 460 in running off of a stock A9P EEC. It basically was a reliable turd that could only do about 75 mph before leaning out. Then in 2015 or 2016 I bought the moates quarterhorse and binary Editor software with the dongle and a innovate DLG-1 dual wideband.

I was discouraged a few months ago when I figured I had fuel issues. It's sat since then. Now that I found the vortech supercharger I couldn't wait to get the engine running great first then install the supercharger. I was literally looking for a ranch hand bumper for my f250 on Facebook marketplace then I stumbled on a whole entire supercharger set up off of a low mileage truck at a very cheap price. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks again for the help! I will buy those injectors in about a week. I'm curious what kind of power it will make. Last time I had it out I whopped a 96 cobra or at least it looked like one lol. Granted I treed his ass but I was amazed he couldn't catch up and pass me.
Big Boss Pushkin
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 1979 F150 mass air 460 A9P with moates quarterhorse. C6 trans, 3.70 rear gears. 80 MM mass air, Soon to be vortech supercharged

Unread postby Big Boss Pushkin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 am

Pic upload test
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Boss Pushkin
General Poster

Return to Foxbody Tuning