97 Cobra, change to a different EEC?

Non-vehicle specific forum for tuning all ford ecu's 1994-2004, including the 1994-1995 Mustang, 93-98 Mark VIII, 99+ F-150, 99-04 Mustang, 03-04 Cobra, 99-03 Harley Davidson and Lightning F-150

FBFG2, CBAZA, CZAJL, and all EEC-V

97 Cobra, change to a different EEC?

Unread postby Fanged03 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi guys,

I picked up a bone stock 97 cobra and have plans to turn it into a streetable race car. Going to go turbo build, for tuning would it be best/easiest to switch to a different year (simplified) computer ? Down the road would like to go Holley.

Thanks,
Brent
Fanged03
General Poster

Name: BRENT
Vehicle Information: 2003 Cobra
FBGI0 / AMZ2
QH / BE

Re: 97 Cobra, change to a different EEC?

Unread postby timiacobucci » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm no expert myself but I've recently got my 96 working pretty well after lots of reading on here and trial and error. I've also tuned a few big power turbo cars just not with the stock ford system before. Just to explain my perspective on this.

I would say if you are looking for a simplified system the mods that Decipha describes in his write ups and the way the base maps are already setup in the bins he has publicly shared on here already do a great job of that. The 97 year is probably the sweet spot for functional ability of the computer system and simplicity of emissions and obd2 compliance. Trying to use and older obd1 system on a 97 will not pass inspection in many places and the requirements and emissions equipment are more complex on newer stuff. I don't know the details of Indiana inspection but in my experience Florida is the only place I could get away with a stand alone on a legal daily driver. The Holley system will not pass an inspection anywhere as far as I know (no inspection in FL) so you would at least need to keep the factory system at 97 spec and functioning well enough in at least a piggy back function to be legal.

I know discussing modifying engine function in relation to emissions and legality can be a tricky subject so I understand if any of this discussion is unacceptable and needs to be removed but I am simply trying to point out the realities involved and how to maintain legality and emissions compliance.
96 Grand marquis, eec-v cdan4, quarter horse, BE, sailorbob def. 80mm slot maf, 70mm e250 throttle,
pi intake and cams on npi engine, dual exhaust, 4.10 trac lok, jmod 4r70w
timiacobucci
General Poster

Name: Timothy Iacobucci
Vehicle Information: 96 Grand marquis, eec-v cdan4, quarter horse, BE, sailorbob def. 80mm slot maf, 70mm e250 throttle,

Unread postby motorhead1991 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:12 pm

timiacobucci wrote:I'm no expert myself but I've recently got my 96 working pretty well after lots of reading on here and trial and error. I've also tuned a few big power turbo cars just not with the stock ford system before. Just to explain my perspective on this.

I would say if you are looking for a simplified system the mods that Decipha describes in his write ups and the way the base maps are already setup in the bins he has publicly shared on here already do a great job of that. The 97 year is probably the sweet spot for functional ability of the computer system and simplicity of emissions and obd2 compliance. Trying to use and older obd1 system on a 97 will not pass inspection in many places and the requirements and emissions equipment are more complex on newer stuff. I don't know the details of Indiana inspection but in my experience Florida is the only place I could get away with a stand alone on a legal daily driver. The Holley system will not pass an inspection anywhere as far as I know (no inspection in FL) so you would at least need to keep the factory system at 97 spec and functioning well enough in at least a piggy back function to be legal.

I know discussing modifying engine function in relation to emissions and legality can be a tricky subject so I understand if any of this discussion is unacceptable and needs to be removed but I am simply trying to point out the realities involved and how to maintain legality and emissions compliance.

Most of Idaho, and Eastern WA fit that bill as well, just so you know :grin:
motorhead1991
Power Poster

Name: Anthony Cox
Vehicle Information: 1990 Ford Ranger FLH2 conversion. Ford forged/dished pistons, Total Seal file-fit rings, Clevite rod and main bearings, Clevite cam bearings, IHI turbo, Siemens Deka 60lb/hr injectors, Ford slot MAF in custom 3" housing. Moates Quarterhorse with Binary Editor, using the PAAD6 database.
Vehicle 2 Information: Stock 1990 Ranger. ICM relocation

Unread postby decipha » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 pm

emissions are good, but just for the record; In the USA the only ecu's that are allowed to be used on any vehicle "that is capable of being driven on the street" are factory equipped ecu's running the factory emissions qualified calibration.

Just because florida doesn't enforce the federal emissions standard as some states do all the same laws apply anywhere in the 50 states california or elsewhere.

The 2 bank 96-97 cdan4 ecus used on most fords in that year range work perfectly fine. No reason to get rid of it unless u want to easily upgrade to an 03/04 luxury sedan ecu to gain coil on plug.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Fanged03 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Didn't really put thought towards the emissions legalities, as I don't need to worry about inspections and such in my part of IN.

Decipha, thanks. Thats exactly the info I was looking for.
Fanged03
General Poster

Name: BRENT
Vehicle Information: 2003 Cobra
FBGI0 / AMZ2
QH / BE

Unread postby timiacobucci » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:34 am

Decipha is correct, I said get away with, not legal. That's why I said it's a sticky topic. We know the laws but if no one is checking in certain states...IN, FL, ID, WA, AK. I think south Dakota. I think only SD and FL are statewide though.

I believe a newer factory system with all its emissions equipment functioning should be legal too if you wanted to go to 03/04. I do know the egr system at least is different, you will need all the associated emissions equipment from a junkyard / donor too if you grab the pcm and wiring harness to be completely legal.

Personally I belive if you maintain the spirit of the law in maintaining or equalling the emissions standards even with a stand alone somewhere its not being inspected it is ok. I know for certain older obd1 cars I've put standalone systems on with fast, accurate, modern closed loop fueling and quality high flow cats have had better emissions than they did stock. I do actually believe in the spirit of this particular law even if I don't believe in the particular letter.

Decipha, other than cop are there other benefits to the 03/04? I've actually got an entire setup from a donor 03 cop car I've been using as a cheap flow bench. I'm using the dpfe pressure sensor to test the depression the flow is at. I actually wondered if that input could be used as a real map input for speed density or at least as a direct load reference. I've noticed tuning fn035 it varies by gear/loading and thought it might be nice if it was just actually a sensor measurement vs estimated.
96 Grand marquis, eec-v cdan4, quarter horse, BE, sailorbob def. 80mm slot maf, 70mm e250 throttle,
timiacobucci
General Poster

Name: Timothy Iacobucci
Vehicle Information: 96 Grand marquis, eec-v cdan4, quarter horse, BE, sailorbob def. 80mm slot maf, 70mm e250 throttle,

Unread postby decipha » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 am

the ecu itself can be upgraded to a newer ecu no problem which falls under the same guidelines as a refurbished or parts store replacement ecu the kicker is that it has to be running the oem factory calibration

no, emissions is based on the specific vehicle year make model and trim (engine). The original emissions controls are all thats needed.

thats not really relevant to your turbo setup tho.
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda