Cylinder Balance Test Cylinder Sequence

non vehicle specific forum for tuning all other EEC-IV

Cylinder Balance Test Cylinder Sequence

Unread postby FoMoCo17 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Does anyone know for sure the sequence the EEC IV uses when cutting off cylinders for the Cylinder Balance Test initiated with a code scanner (i.e. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, 5-6-7-8-1-2-3-4, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) or any other order utilized?

Thank you for your help .
FoMoCo17
General Poster

Name: Doug
Vehicle Information: 306 Forged Assembly w H Beam Rods and Girdle, Kenne Bell 2.1, E7 Ported Heads & Intake, Kenne Bell FMU, 19# Accel Injectors, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator/Gauge, Stock Cam (+2 degrees), 1.7 Crane Roller Rockers, 60 mm throttle Body, 55 mm MAF w stock sensor, BBK Cold Air Inlet, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK H-pipe, Autolite 24 Plugs, EGR & Thermactor Enabled, 2 1/2 MagnaFlow SS, built AOD w 2400 Hughes Converter, Flex-a-Lite Cooling Radiator/Module Assy., 130 Amp Alternator

Re: Cylinder Balance Test Cylinder Sequence

Unread postby decipha » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:39 pm

i do not, never needed to do a cylinder balance test before
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby FoMoCo17 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 am

Well thanks ... anyone else ...

I’ve been told it goes through 1-8 successively. However, w wideband and and QH installed its showing me that’s its starting on Bank 2 cylinders 5-8 first ... rather then cylinders 1-4. I know it’s starting on 5-8 bec this is where my wideband is mounted and QH is confirming it showing the lean spikes of each cylinder being cut out on the AFR ... THEN .. you can see it going through 1-4 via the rpm graph.

Thus, if anyone can confirm this anomaly, I’d appreciate it! As I said, I’ve been told that it starts and completetes Bank 1 first (1-4) before proceeding to Bank 2 (5-8). Starting to wonder if my Injector wires are flipped side to side though all I can find if accurate says their correct!

Any help appreciated!
FoMoCo17
General Poster

Vehicle Information: 306 Forged Assembly w H Beam Rods and Girdle, Kenne Bell 2.1, E7 Ported Heads & Intake, Kenne Bell FMU, 19# Accel Injectors, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator/Gauge, Stock Cam (+2 degrees), 1.7 Crane Roller Rockers, 60 mm throttle Body, 55 mm MAF w stock sensor, BBK Cold Air Inlet, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK H-pipe, Autolite 24 Plugs, EGR & Thermactor Enabled, 2 1/2 MagnaFlow SS, built AOD w 2400 Hughes Converter, Flex-a-Lite Cooling Radiator/Module Assy., 130 Amp Alternator

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 am

I'd use the wiring schematic and ring them out with a multimeter from a few injectors to the salt and pepper plugs. Seems simplest way to me. First check the injector order in the tune.
red5.0fogger
Premium Member

Name: George
Vehicle Information: 86 GT, stock block, twisted wedge heads, Anderson N41 cam, cobra intake, 180 shot, 3.73 gears, T-5 trans, 24# injectors, 155Lph fuel pump, 73mm C&L mass air meter, moates QH tuned by Decipha, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, Flowmaster 2 chambers, Drag radials, South Side control arms circa 1999.

Unread postby Paulie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Disconnect the connector for one of the injectors and rerun cylinder balance test to see if it identifies the correct cylinder
Paulie
General Poster

Name: Paulie
Vehicle Information: 1990 Mustang LX 5.0, GUFB/A9L, BE/EA, Quarterhorse, HCI, Vortech S-trim 8#, Stock shortblock, FRPP 42# injectors, PMAS MH95, T-5.

Unread postby FoMoCo17 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Great point/idea! Will have to give it a try when I have a chance ... thank you! But guess it’ll be mighty rough disconnecting one cylinder and the computer shorting out an additional cylinder each time ... but guess it was designed for that .... guess the best time to disconnect it is while running after the KOER tests have been completed and idle is raised right before I depress the throttle to initiate the test.
FoMoCo17
General Poster

Unread postby FoMoCo17 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 am

Thanks again Paulie .... tried cylinder balance test 3 times on both banks and the test proved out and found the disconnected cylinder accurately all three times! Thus, all looks good, though I have to review again the O2 responses for each ... they looked iffy on one test ... but will recheck. Anyway, after doing 3 tests and analyzing the graphs, would you believe, it appears the the EEC IV shorts the cylinders in the the Cylinder Balance Test in the following order 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 opposite of what I was told at a different mustang site. Pisses one off after 6 hours of verification of erroneous info that people just throw out there and are wrong. Anyone that can or wants to verify this would be appreciated! I think it’s important because problems can be diagnosed relating to the system by logging this test! Definitely shows up nicely while logging in the QH. And, definite problem areas can readily be seen via QH and different PID’s.
FoMoCo17
General Poster

Return to EEC-IV Tuning