Web Developers - EFIDynoTuning Homepage

Post feedback or inquiries regarding the forum or our website(s):
http://www.rdspeedshop.com and http://www.efidynotuning.com

all website related issues belong here such as incorrect links, discrepancies in the write ups, etc...

Web Developers - EFIDynoTuning Homepage

Unread postby decipha » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 pm

I think its been a lot past due that the homepage have a facelift.

I like keeping it simple and to the point but a little flare on there would spice it up

even if i sectioned it and put the write ups in a fixed menu on the left side with pages framed on the right that would most likely give it some jazz and keep it fully functional and to the point

If anyone has any ideas and want to lend some html id be more than open to any and all ideas
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce
07 GMC 2500HD 6L - Veranafer

Re: Web Developers - EFIDynoTuning Homepage

Unread postby decipha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:49 pm

well i added a moates and a tunerpro logo, its a start lol

biggest change was the title, for those that use other forums where links are resolved, post a link to the homepage and check out the new title, tell me if you like, it sure is an attention grabber now
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby lowranger96 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:15 am

that's a huge improvement so far! :D I like it
1996 - 2.5 CP Flattops, Billet Crower 5.2 rods, Stock head bolts, Felpro 1035, Turbo VC, P&P BV Head, 2277 Cam/spring, Custom Log/Tial MVS, HE351, FMIC, FLH2, ID1000s, HPX Blowthrough, Binary Editor, E85
lowranger96
Power Poster

Name: Chris Salmon
Vehicle Information: 96 ranger 2.3 turbo

Unread postby 2000GT5.4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm a full stack developer. I'll do it for you. Let me know if you have any ideas/changes in mind. Web design has changed a lot since the site was started. We could restyle the whole site fairly easily.
2000GT5.4
General Poster

Name: Andrew Holder
Vehicle Information: Vehicle Information:
2000 Mustang GT Convertible
Ford 5.4 2V N.A. Engine (From a 2000 F250)
Stock internals
HPS Hardballr 5.4 Intake Manifold (Not using adapter plates)
78mm BBK Throttle Body/Plenum
CAI
Shorty Headers
O/R X-pipe
EGR Deleted
FlowMaster 40s

Tuning Specific Info:
Moates QH & Moates F3/Jaybird
Spartan 2 Wideband & Controller by 14point7
AEM Wideband Gauge
DeatschWerks 340lph Fuel Pump
Bosch 35lb Injectors
Stock MAF and Sensors
Ford EEC-V
Strategy CVAF1 Box Code GTG3

Unread postby 2000GT5.4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm

The forum looks fine it's the home site that really needs to be updated. You can PM me the details of the site. I'll just need to know what it's running on (Apache, NGINX, IIS) and whether it's static or if there is some server side code going on and any database holding table values (injector data etc.). From the looks of it I'm assuming it's > 10 static html files with just minimal inline css for styling a few things and some jQuery for the collapsible menu. I could bring it up to date properly in a week or two in my spare time.
2000GT5.4
General Poster

Stock internals
CAI
Shorty Headers
O/R X-pipe
EGR Deleted
FlowMaster 40s

Tuning Specific Info:
AEM Wideband Gauge
Bosch 35lb Injectors
Stock MAF and Sensors
Ford EEC-V

Unread postby decipha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 am

yep thats it all html static on apache no code the biggest constraint is that it all has to be portable and able to run offline as well with minimum space so it can be accessed on very slow connections, sometimes i get in places where i can only get 20 kb/s bandwidth
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby 2000GT5.4 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Being able to run serverless is a major constraint. I saw how you were using iframes to manage templating. I went ahead and built out rough site using some newer libraries and replaced the iframe navigation with some javascript. You can preview it here http://73.204.110.18
Most of the navigation is just mocked up and not functional except for the 'Getting Started' link under the 'Write Ups' dropdown. That's just proof of concept for the js based navigation.

I restructured the header menus to just include site specific navigation. All the other external links, galleries, etc.. I plan to place in the left side column which is currently empty. Another hurdle will be getting browser navigation history to work properly but I can do it with a little javascript.

I'm trying to keep the code as simple and reusable as possible so I'm using bootstrap and a flexbox template for the layout which reduces the need for excessive custom css. I tested it a little on iOS Safari and Chrome on Android. Looks like it's fairly responsive to different viewports.

Everyone is welcome to chime in with some feedback before I go too far in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Andrew
2000GT5.4
General Poster

Stock internals
CAI
Shorty Headers
O/R X-pipe
EGR Deleted
FlowMaster 40s

Tuning Specific Info:
AEM Wideband Gauge
Bosch 35lb Injectors
Stock MAF and Sensors
Ford EEC-V

Unread postby decipha » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:02 am

i might be impartial but i much prefer the simplistic layout of the current page

The emphasis on the site has always been to keep it as small as possible to make it load as fast as possible, i think it would be very difficult to make it any smaller than it currently is, I'd rather not make it any larger without adding any content.

I think the biggest thing it needs isn't so much the reworking of any of the logic as everything seems to work fairly well, I think the biggest area it needs attention is in little adjustments that make it "pop"

I have some shtml and a cgi script from the old shopping cart i used to have on the old site that i'll be porting over to this server in the near future (prob over the Christmas holiday if i get free time) when i add that in i'll be revamping the homepage a tad to make it more interactive, i think that alone will make it appear more modernized

your page did give me an idea though, if i basically half the width of what i have now it will make it appear much cleaner and organized

and i take it you didn't notice there's an expandable side menu on the left side as well, i'll be making that more noticeable as well
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby 2000GT5.4 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 pm

I agree with you that simpler is better. I actually considered the page I made pretty minimal but I'm used to working on pages with a lot more going on so my perception may be skewed.

As far as keeping the size of the site down. The libraries I included altogether amount to 280kb, about the size of an image file.
Any impact on load time would be negligible especially since most web browsers would cache them and not load them again unless certain conditions were met.

The benefit of using libraries, is that they encapsulate alot of functionality in a small package, granting the ability to keep your html and javascript minimal and organized.

As far as changing the logic, I didn't really change the logic. Just how it's implemented. I recognized the site is currently loading content on demand into an iframe container, keeping your individual pages seperate from the home page layout. In effect what you are accomplishing is templating, something that would normally be done on the back end. I thought this was actually a pretty neat solution under the constraint of not having server side code.

There is a major problem with using iframe though. And if you ever want the site to be responsive to being resized for different devices. You gotta ditch iframe. I'm surprised it hasn't been deprecated already. So I simply repaced the iframe element with a div and changed the header menu hyperlinks to buttons. Instead of the hyperlinks loading the iframe, the buttons load the div using a simple javascript function. So basically the same logic with a slightly different implementation that is a lot more future proof and your existing file structure remains relatively the same.

(For an example of the limitation of iframe go to your site with your browser maximized and then change the size of your browser window to be a little smaller. You will no longer be able to view the entire content unless you reload the page. This doesn't sound like much of a problem, but it will absolutely stop you from being able to make the site responsive or mobile friendly)

I did notice the collapsible menu. I planned on implementing it in the left hand column but only at a certain breakpoint. On a desktop view, normally you'd want your links expanded there on the left hand side ready to go. But on smaller screens or on resizing your browser you'd want it to collapse and be expandable on demand. That's responsiveness. For example, see the header that I'm using on the test page. If you reduce your browser's window size you'll see it collapse at a certain width and the body content will take the full width of the screen. Also notice that the problem of the iframe is gone.

If you're not ready right now for help revamping the site, that's cool. You can always email me if you'd like some help. Or if you don't like the style I proposed just let me know what you'd like.
As far as small changes to make the site look better I'd suggest restructuring the Latest News list to be formatted a little nicer. Especially since it's the first thing visitor's see as far as content.

Let me know if you'd like me to straighten that up a bit.

I'm offering to help cause I appreciate the time that you've put in to making the information on this site available and managing the forum etc.
2000GT5.4
General Poster

Stock internals
CAI
Shorty Headers
O/R X-pipe
EGR Deleted
FlowMaster 40s

Tuning Specific Info:
AEM Wideband Gauge
Bosch 35lb Injectors
Stock MAF and Sensors
Ford EEC-V

Unread postby decipha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

i actually made the iframe specifically to be mobile friendly since most people pull up the site on mobile devices. On my cell my tablet my laptop and my desktop i can resize it no prob, i have a javascript that automates the page size based on the content so it should fit the screen no prob.

I put a fixed size on the news feed on the homepage, should make it much neater looking now

i also got my new server configured correctly to use my old php script to automate forms, the vehicle info sheet is one example

i really appreciate your effort and feedback
decipha
Tooner

91 4r70w - Skarlett
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha