95 Mustang GT

Non-vehicle specific forum for tuning all ford ecu's 1994-2004, including the 1994-1995 Mustang, 93-98 Mark VIII, 99+ F-150, 99-04 Mustang, 03-04 Cobra, 99-03 Harley Davidson and Lightning F-150

FBFG2, CBAZA, CZAJL, and all EEC-V

95 Mustang GT

Unread postby Coz77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Ok Folks, need some guidance here, early apology for the long post but I feel the detail is relevant.

I have a 95 GT 'vert that I just finished building up last spring, here is the combo it's running:

Stock Bottom End, ~70k Miles
Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads (1.92/1.68 valves)
Crane 2031 Cam, 1.7 Rockers
TMoss Ported GT40 Lower intake
Kenne Bell 2.2l Supercharger `9-10lbs of Boost (No aircharge cooling, chemical or otherwise)
Longtube Headers, catted H-Pipe
42Lb Injectors, Stock Reg., 255lph In-tank Pump

When the build was finished last spring I had a local tuner put together a start-up tune that did get the car running relatively well, well enough for me to drive it over to his shop for a dyno tune (about 40KM), naturally I stayed out of boost the whole time.

Car was tuned on the dyno, fuel seems to be relatively well dialed in, I have an AEM Wideband mounted and from what I can see when I'm eyeballing it, sticking at about 11.5 when the pedal is matted to the firewall. No pinging to be heard, regardless of the ambient temperature when it was run, and run hard (We had some fairly hot days late this last summer and I couldn't pick up on any detonation regardless of how hard I layed into it). Car does not have any idling, stalling or other issues from a drivability perspective. There was an issue with hot starts, but I corrected that myself by reading the tune off of the SCT 4-bank chip using my Jaybird, tweaking the Crank pulsewidth down a touch in the upper ECT temperature range and she now fires right up regardless of the engine temp.

Here is the catch, the car was tuned with the timing locked at 19deg. at the distributor (spout pulled permanently). The tuner didn't seem confident that he could trust the strategy to manage timing itself. I know, doesn't inspire confidence but there are limited tuning resources up here in Toronto, Canada and Fox mustangs with the older GUF strategies are much more common. CBAZA is still relatively foreign up here, especially on FI combo's like mine. In the end, the car was making 407rwhp and about 440rwtq. I was happy with the numbers and left well enough alone, enjoyed the car all summer. But the more i've thought about it, the more it seems to me that I am sacrificing alot of power throughout the RPM band running the timing locked at 19deg. Also, the car will incinerate the tires at any stab of the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, but running hard into the shift to 3rd, it seems like the car falls on it's face a bit, and is slow to climb RPM for a second or two. Not sure if this is related to lack of timing?

I have a quarterhorse at the ready, and as I mentioned I've spent some time tweaking the tune in a few other areas to get things set the way I like ... I'm considering having a go at tuning the timing tables myself and letting the ECU dynamically control the timing. I know that 19deg total is safe under full boost (could probably safely get away with 20 or 21). I'm just at a loss for what and where to start? what timing is safe for my combo in the lower RPM? Considering that the KB makes full boost instantly, I don't feel like I have alot of wiggle room for errors in the timing tables.

So the question is ... based on how the car performs and drives, is the power gain throughout the RPM band worth the trouble (and risk) of setting up the timing tables myself?

Anticipating that the answer to question #1 is "Hell Yes" ... What all do I need to do with timing from a starting point? What tables, initial timing settings would be a fairly safe starting point?

Thanks in advance ...

Coz
Coz77
General Poster

Name: Coz
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, HCI 302: Stock Short Block, Eddy Performer 5.0 Heads (60379), Ported Cobra Intake, Crane 2031 Cam/1.7 Rockers, 65mm TB, Stock 70mm Maf, 24lb Injectors, BBK Longtubes -> Offroad X -> Mac Flowpath Catback. All through a T5 Trans with 3.73s in the rear. Currently running an SCT tune ... Will be tuning with QH, BE: CBAZA & T4M2 Base

Re: 95 Mustang GT

Unread postby decipha » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 am

there is no risk setting up the timing table you simplify spark and plug in the value you want

yes there is considerable tq and fuel economy you can pick up in the part throttle regions

since you have a running tune, simply do a WOT pull locked in 2nd from idle up to red line, note the highest load you reach at each 1300 rpm interval, this is the MAXIMUM load you can reach in boost, opwn up the t4m2 base tune and plug those values in to the FN1036 inferred load table, then do another pull in 2nd from idle up to redline this time near half throttle where the engine makes 0 vac and 0 boost, doesn't have to be perfect but as close to it as possible, in the t4m2 tune plug those load values in to FN035 the perload scaling function

then follow the instructions in the t4m2 write up to set up the spark table FN2200. Now reference your n/a load values (FN035) and make sure you aren't commanding too much N/A timing. Then reference fn1036 for your wot load values and reference fn2200 to make sure your commanding 19 deg from 3k rpm on up

now simply copy over your maf transfer, injector offset, injector high and low slopes, breakpoint, cranking pw, and SARCHG (engine size scalar) from your existing tune to your t4m2 tune

then save and load the t4m2 tune to the qh and see if you like the dashpot and startup air etc... if its good to go then enjoy otherwise copy over your dashpot settings from your existing tune, and adjust fn1862n the isc mutiplier table to compensate for idle air requirements for startup

done, very simple nothing to it

if you want to actually dial in your startup air the
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Unread postby Coz77 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks Michael!

Question, when doing the WOT pull in 2nd, I know from experience that the car will break the tires loose. What sort of effect (if any) will that have on the values going into the inferred load table (FN1036)?
Coz77
General Poster

Name: Coz
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, HCI 302: Stock Short Block, Eddy Performer 5.0 Heads (60379), Ported Cobra Intake, Crane 2031 Cam/1.7 Rockers, 65mm TB, Stock 70mm Maf, 24lb Injectors, BBK Longtubes -> Offroad X -> Mac Flowpath Catback. All through a T5 Trans with 3.73s in the rear. Currently running an SCT tune ... Will be tuning with QH, BE: CBAZA & T4M2 Base

Unread postby decipha » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm

if it breaks the tires loose going wot in 2nd at 800 rpm idle then you need better tires

in that case do it in 3rd
decipha
Tooner

Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others: