Exhaust

Forum for discussing engines in general, anything engine and not tuning-specific belongs here, such as power adder discussions (turbos, blowers, nitrous, meth / water injection, exhaust setups, etc...)

Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm new to the Mustang crowd and I'd like to talk exhaust.

My exhaust sounds like a 60's school bus with straight pipes! God awful. Blatty as all get out.
I have MAC 1-3/4" shorties dumped into an 2.5" offroad pipe with "H" pipe. Then the dual exhaust runs through 2 Edelbrock straight through mufflers and exit out full tailpipes.

I've read that long tube headers sound better.
I've read that "X" pipes get rid of the blatty sound.
I like a deep tone like the Flowmasters without the drone and I have it in spades right now. It's literally numbing.

Your opinions or experiences?
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby decipha » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:38 pm

If u like the flow sound thoe some floes on it
User avatar
decipha
Tooner
 
Posts: 15787
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:51 pm

decipha wrote:If u like the flow sound thoe some floes on it


Notice I said without the drone. Flowmaster=Dronemaster BTDT
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby red5.0fogger » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:21 pm

I like drone, sounds like a ww2 fighter plane. Weeeee! Ratatat tat.
red5.0fogger
Premium Member
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:02 pm
Name: George
Vehicle Information: 86 GT, stock block, twisted wedge heads, Anderson N41 cam, cobra intake, 180 shot, 3.73 gears, T-5 trans, 24# injectors, 155Lph fuel pump, 73mm C&L mass air meter, moates QH tuned by Decipha, Mac 1 5/8 shorty headers, Flowmaster 2 chambers, Drag radials, South Side control arms circa 1999.

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:28 pm

red5.0fogger wrote:I like drone, sounds like a ww2 fighter plane. Weeeee! Ratatat tat.


LOL. I literally cannot have a conversation or listen to music. It's the worst drone I have ever experienced. The blatty sound with an automatic is the worst. I don't know why one straight through muffler would sound different than the next but they do. My son has Borla XR1's that sound sweet. A nice rumble but quiet in the car. He also has long tubes and a "X" pipe versus my shorties and "H" pipe. Both of us run 2.5" duals out the back.
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby StangD » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 pm

My 40 series Flows and longtubes honestly don't drone. They're just plain obnoxious loud under power. There are about a zillion exhaust threads on Corral if you want ideas. All of the major manufacturers have an adult muffler series. I'm going to get some when I grow up. Magnaflow and Dynaflow have some I like the sound of.

Couple of these maybe?

http://images.complex.com/complex/image ... oh48bw.jpg
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am
Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 pm

StangD wrote:My 40 series Flows and longtubes honestly don't drone. They're just plain obnoxious loud under power. There are about a zillion exhaust threads on Corral if you want ideas. All of the major manufacturers have an adult muffler series. I'm going to get some when I grow up. Magnaflow and Dynaflow have some I like the sound of.

Couple of these maybe?

http://images.complex.com/complex/image ... oh48bw.jpg

LOL! No fart cans for me!
I've ran Flowmasters for years and love them other than the drone.
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Mines right on par with this crap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDxlM7GAPA
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby decipha » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 pm

echod flows on a 5.0 are complete ear sex
User avatar
decipha
Tooner
 
Posts: 15787
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Name: Michael Ponthieux
Vehicle Information: Supercoupin' x10
90 (4x 5spds) - Dante, Ruby, Daja, Ava
91 4r70w - Skarlett
92 (2x) 5spd & auto - Bianqa, Andrea
93 auto - Danika
94 5spd Rionda
95 auto Aisha
Vehicle 2 Information: Others:
00 Lincoln LS - Luanda
98 Camaro SS - Bounquisha
02 Harley F-150 - Sasasha
03 Marauder - DyShyKy
00 Explorer 5L - Bernyce

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby StangD » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm

If you've never had the pleasure of listening to SLP exhaust. Go to the one minute mark and tell me it doesn't sound like he has three spun rod bearings and a complete socket set in his pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dd9qrGXy9A
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am
Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm

decipha wrote:echod flows on a 5.0 are complete ear sex


??? Echoed? Which series?
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Sounds better. I'm not sure about the MAC pro chamber. Gimmick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn_UCZiqnA
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 pm

StangD wrote:If you've never had the pleasure of listening to SLP exhaust. Go to the one minute mark and tell me it doesn't sound like he has three spun rod bearings and a complete socket set in his pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dd9qrGXy9A


ACK! Right up there with mine.
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby quartermaster » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:39 am

Hi All I'm serious listen carefully because this may sound like hocus pocus but it works! I have done it on my car. Ok I have Flowmaster super 44s and they droned like crazy at certain rpms. This of course was cruising speed it sucked. What you do is put a 1 7/8 hole in one tailpipe then weld a 2" pipe over that hole. The pipe is to be welded at a 90 degree angle to the tailpipe. The welded on pipe should be about 36" long and capped on the end. The perfect place for the pipe is to go across the back of the car just behind the gas tank. The principal of this is that the sound waves travel down the pipe bounce off the end and return to the tailpipe approx. 90 degrees out of phase with the sound wave. Believe me it works! I only did this to the passenger tailpipe. I actually welded a stub pipe to my tailpipe and then slid the actual pipe onto that for easy exhaust removal. I repeat this works. I can listen to the radio, talk to friends whatever. If I have the windows up it is about as loud inside as my girlfriends Saturn L100. This works guys. Believe me the drone is GONE. Andrew ( I can't take credit for this I read it somewhere )
quartermaster
Power Poster
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:15 pm
Name: Andrew
Vehicle Information: 89 LX 331 9:1 T5 trans until it grenades Afr 185 heads, Performer Rpm, Comp Cams xe274hr, Deka 60s,Sct Ba 2800 long tubes, X pipe, Vortech si, 11Lbs so far, 19Lbhr meth injection
A9L Tweecer Rt, Cal Edit 11.3 @127 last year before tuning. new times 10.93 @ 131.5

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby 85GT » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 am

Not a new topic. Some good info here on designing: http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums ... ne-489463/
85GT
Advanced Tuner
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:23 pm
Name: Hank
Vehicle Information: 85 Mustang GT. 5.0, QH, A9L
Vehicle 2 Information: 91 Caprice 5.0 TunerPro RT
Vehicle 3 Information: 95 Caprice 4.3 TunerPro RT

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:52 am

quartermaster wrote:Hi All I'm serious listen carefully because this may sound like hocus pocus but it works! I have done it on my car. Ok I have Flowmaster super 44s and they droned like crazy at certain rpms. This of course was cruising speed it sucked. What you do is put a 1 7/8 hole in one tailpipe then weld a 2" pipe over that hole. The pipe is to be welded at a 90 degree angle to the tailpipe. The welded on pipe should be about 36" long and capped on the end. The perfect place for the pipe is to go across the back of the car just behind the gas tank. The principal of this is that the sound waves travel down the pipe bounce off the end and return to the tailpipe approx. 90 degrees out of phase with the sound wave. Believe me it works! I only did this to the passenger tailpipe. I actually welded a stub pipe to my tailpipe and then slid the actual pipe onto that for easy exhaust removal. I repeat this works. I can listen to the radio, talk to friends whatever. If I have the windows up it is about as loud inside as my girlfriends Saturn L100. This works guys. Believe me the drone is GONE. Andrew ( I can't take credit for this I read it somewhere )


I've read all about this on Corral. Thanks for the link and sharing your experience. Here's my dilemma...My car is lowered and I take pride in keeping it looking clean up top and underneath. Where the heck am I going to tuck 36" of 2" pipe and have it out of sight? Surely all Mustangs don't drone.

I'm curious if anyone has noticed a sound difference between short and long tube headers as far as raspiness and drone.

Has anyone used the MAC Prochamber? It's rumored to help.

This isn't bad sounding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn_UCZiqnA
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby StangD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:25 pm

Fasterthangas wrote:
quartermaster wrote: I'm curious if anyone has noticed a sound difference between short and long tube headers as far as raspiness and drone.


Yes, my long tubes cured my drone. Now it's just plain loud as hell. If I was building your car it would not have longtubes. They come with there own challenges you don't need in a street car. They ride low, raise underhood temps etc. Just use some quieter mufflers. That 347 will still sound good. If it's not deep enough after that, big diameter tails and or tips will fix it without drone.
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am
Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby Fasterthangas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:45 pm

StangD wrote:
Fasterthangas wrote:
quartermaster wrote: I'm curious if anyone has noticed a sound difference between short and long tube headers as far as raspiness and drone.


Yes, my long tubes cured my drone. Now it's just plain loud as hell. If I was building your car it would not have longtubes. They come with there own challenges you don't need in a street car. They ride low, raise underhood temps etc. Just use some quieter mufflers. That 347 will still sound good. If it's not deep enough after that, big diameter tails and or tips will fix it without drone.


Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. You don't think shorties put off just as much heat?

Does anyone have feedback on a quiet muffler that doesn't blat or get raspy?
Fasterthangas
Power Poster
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: AZ
Name: Eric
Vehicle Information: '95 Mustang GT
347 SBF
10.0:1 cr
Systemax ll
230/238 @ .050 custom cam
AFR Renegade 185 heads
Ford Racing EV14 34lb. injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
4" CAI
Accufab 75mm TB
T5
3.73's
1-3/4" shorty headers into 2.5" duals out the back with H pipe. Jones Maxflow straight through mufflers

Re: Exhaust

Unread postby StangD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Fasterthangas wrote:
StangD wrote:
Fasterthangas wrote:
quartermaster wrote:Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. You don't think shorties put off just as much heat?


No I don't think it''s even close. Especially when idling or in town traffic speeds. Shorties didn't cook my CAI, which I now refer to as my HAI. They do make coated headers that aren't as bad. Bring your wallet.
94 Mustang GT-T5-347(Fordstrokers DIY)-TF190s,FTI Cam,Ported Victor EFI,42s-LMAF,85MM TB-Nitrous-Suspension mods and DRs.
CBAZA-TM40

12.1 @119.50 NA

Pulling baby wheelies and breakin stuff.
StangD
Supporting Member 25
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 am
Name: Dewayne
Vehicle Information: 94 Mustang GT T5 CBAZA TM40

347 TF190-Victor EFI-LMAF- 85MM TB- 42s,4.10s-DRs


Return to Speed Shop & Engine Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron