ECU Tools security dongle & Mongoose Pro for Ford

Anything not covered in the other forums.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: ECU Tools security dongle

Unread post by decipha »

interesting I got a msg last week someone asking specifically if it would work i told them prob not

If I can find out who it was I will let them know. Thanks for verifying.
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I've had to copy and paste a code from ECU Tools for a 3rd time. This time into the PCMflash software. It still won't work. I have two copies of the PCMflash download in my files. Would they conflict with each other and how would I go about deleting one copy? The j2534/vcm2 device is still appearing not to work. The laptop icon on the j2534/vcm2 device is blinking.
Michael P. If I ship my knockoff pass thru device to you, how much would you charge me to test it? I assume it needs a driver and two that I have searched for haven't helped it. I would like to know if it is good or bad before I'm forced to buck up and layout $539 plus tax and shipping for a Mongoose.
A bit of a different question. If I get a Moates Quarterhorse do I need the Mongoose too?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

when you open pcmflash the modules you have are selectable the ones you dont have are greyed out

if you dont have the driver for it and it doesnt showbup in pcmflash drop down for devices then nothing I can do with it.

pcmflash is for writing ecus has nothing to do with tuning

qh is for tuning
ATPCR
Vehicle Information: 1997 Mountaineer 5.0 that originally had a wasted spark ignition system. I'm converting to coil-near-plug. I will use a 4.6 Luxury Sedan PCM & modified powertrain harness. It will be reprogrammed to operate the Windsor 5.0.

Unread post by ATPCR »

I don't think that you understood my question about the Chinese knock off of the J2534/VCM2 tool and testing it and its cables and if it needs a driver or not. I'm attempting to use it in place of a Mongoose Plus pass thru dongle to read a PCM.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I have removed the Ford IDS software because I'm not trying to do an IDS update anyway. I'm simply trying to use the device so that the PCM and laptop will communicate with each other. I put the j2534 Ford-V121 disc back in the drive to read file names. I was hoping to see a file that would be used to make it function only as a pass thru device. I don't think that I'm seeing such a file.
Ford-V121.jpg
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

negative thats extremely unlikely hence why pcmflash exists.

If you find a way to simply read and write otherwise please do let me know.
Cougar281
Vehicle Information: 1995 Mercury Cougar
2002 PI 4.6L V8
1999 J-Modded 4R70W
2004 PTP2 PCM

Unread post by Cougar281 »

I can't really speak for other devices, but for my MDI2, I had to have the GM MDI Manager installed, and in PCMFlash, select the 'J2534: Bosch - MDI 2' device, then when you click 'read' or 'write', it brings up the Device Explorer where you can select the device. In my screen clip, I didn't have the MDI2 connected, but Device Manager still remembered it, which is why it shows it but it has the 'X' through it.
Attachments
PCMFlash_MDI2.JPG
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I do appreciate everyone's input. After much thought and reading, as per Michael's recommendation, I purchased a Mongoose Pro for Ford. I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't be using a possibly substandard devise to be reading and writing files. I hope I can find someone that could use for its intended purpose, the "knockoff" J2534/VCM2 device. Cougar281, even hooked up, I was getting the picture with an "X".
I'm not going to buy a Moates Quarterhorse. Michael P (decipha) has one. It I can get the project running enough to get on a trailer to be hauled south, I will leave the fine tuning up to Michael. I already have several $$$ invested not to mention time. I hope Michael will be at it a few more years because it will take at least 3 years before I can make the trip to LA.
ATPCR

Unread post by ATPCR »

I hope that I have the "correct" device on the way to be able to use PCMflash to read & write. Any input?
https://www.vetronix.com/products/mongoose-pro-ford
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

thats her