BE to Decipha Translation?

Anything not covered in the other forums.
Gary Lewis
Vehicle Information: 1985 F250 w/a Scotty-built 460, EEC-V, ZF5, etc. No EGR or cannister purge.

ECU is a YAZ3/ML1-441 & I'm using AGANN/YER2. Programmed via BE & MongoosePro Ford.

Re: BE to Decipha Translation?

Unread post by Gary Lewis »

Ok, that got me to do some reading and I assume Tprt is Tuner Pro RT. Right? And it is free but a "measly donation" gets rid of the pop-up?

As said, I have the Mongoose Pro Ford made by Drewtech, and it appears to work with TPRT. Right?

So if I were to "convert" then I could read my tune and all of the parameters would be in Decipha? Meaning the instructions on this site would match what I'm seeing in TPRT? If so, that sounds very good and I don't need a Rosetta Stone.

Which then brings me to options available for help. And I see one that looks very enticing:

$0+ - FREE Tune Analysis
This service is provided free of charge for those with current tunes from ANOTHER tuner who wishes to have a second opinion on their current tune.
Highly modified vehicles that require dyno pulls will be charged a fee. If you are DIY tuning, simply post your tune and a warm cruise datalog in the TUNE REVIEW SECTION of the forum.

Is that really available? Can I send a datalog from BE or does it need to be from TPRT?

Oops, I see you responded while I was typing, dleach1407. Thanks!
dleach1407
Vehicle Information: 95 Mustang GT, CBAZA Quarterhorse
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Unread post by dleach1407 »

Logs between BE and TPRT aren't interchangeable. I don't know if it's compatible with mongoose but i would assume so because i believe Decipha uses one.

As far as the free analysis, it's advertised but he only can do it when he has free time and no paying customers in front of you. You may wait a long time for him to look at it and it would need to be a tune from TPRT. Decipha will probably respond regarding wait time. After my vacation I'm going to send the 450$ donation so i can get some support.

Fwiw, just about everything you need to know is in the write-ups. If you spend time in there reading you should be able to figure it out. Transient fueling is about the only thing missing at this point which coincidentally is where i need help. If you decide to keep using TPRT, i would recommend paying the 39$ donation. The programmer regularly updates it so it's good to support them.
Gary Lewis
Vehicle Information: 1985 F250 w/a Scotty-built 460, EEC-V, ZF5, etc. No EGR or cannister purge.

ECU is a YAZ3/ML1-441 & I'm using AGANN/YER2. Programmed via BE & MongoosePro Ford.

Good info. Thanks!

I agree that "just about everything you need to know is in the write-ups." I read quite a bit on here before really getting into BE, but had assumed that having that info would map nicely to BE. It does from a theory standpoint, but not from a practice standpoint as "everyone labels things differently".

Fortunately my transient fueling is ok. Not perfect, but good enough that you can't feel it in the vehicle, just see it in the log. And the folks at Core Tuning got me close enough that most people could live with it. I'm not most people and want to dial it in a bit more.

I believe that leaves me with a couple of questions:
  • Can TPRT read a BE tune? (I think the answer is yes as I believe the ECU expects everything to be in its appointed place, which doesn't vary based on whatever software wrote or read it.)
  • Is there in danger in reading a BE tune with TPRT? (I'm pretty sure the answer is no if it truly is just reading.)
I assume there is info in TPRT about masks, so I'll be interested to see what it finds when it reads my tune. I found a mask that BE says controls what tests are run and another that BE says determines what test results can light the CEL. BE provided what bits do what and, being an old PDP-8 programmer I figured out what decimal code to give it and at least got the CEL turned off for what I think was the lack of mis-fire hardware. (Yes, in theory I'd already disabled that test, but something was still setting a code that BE nor my scanner could find.) So I'm interested to see what TPRT says about it.

Thanks again!
dleach1407
331, 190 11R heads, Edelbrock Victor 50 manifold, F303, T5, 76mm Turbo, 91 octane, Returnless dual pump 03 cobra tank, Behind bars rails, 80# siemens injectors
wbo2_030MtxL

57 F100, RZASA, 04 Crown Vic ecu and harness, 302, GT40 heads, 4r70w, 80# deka5 shorties, Holley carb style throttle body, Speedmaster high rise intake manifold

Ill wait for Decipha to reply regarding if your tune from BE can be read by TPRT. A few years ago, I was tuning a fox with his base tune using BE and he said it wasnt compatible which prompted me to move over to TPRT. Many of his tunes have custom code which I believe are not properly understood without TPRT and the correct XDF. I dont know if that would stop you from reading a BE tune into TPRT though.
Gary Lewis

I can see that BE might not be able to read Decipha's tune if there is custom code in it. But from what little I understand I'm running stock code with a few modified parameters, so I would think TPRT should read it. Having said that, I'm not going to try it until Decipha says it will.

As a little background on this, my truck was built for overlanding. It is heavy as it has a winch, dual massive batteries, an inverter, on-board air, bed-mounted toolbox, bed cover, etc. The engine has the latest EFI heads but no EGR nor purge system. Long-tube headers with true dual exhaust, 33" tires and 3.55 gears.

With Core Tuning's help it is running pretty well, but needs more tuning. As said, the idle needs work, and reading Decipha's writeup I'm pretty sure there's a problem with the either the MAF curve or fuel system setup. The cold idle is too low and the warm idle is too high - and the KAMRF's are about 15% high.

I was going to write a new tune this afternoon to add some cold RPM, but that is just probably fixing a symptom and not the problem. So instead I'll download and install TPRT and be ready if Decipha says to read the ECU.
dleach1407
wbo2_030MtxL

Its going to depend on where the custom code resides. Some tunes, he has to remove certain functions in order to regain enough space in the memory to run his code. Others have enough space to add extra code so its going to depend on which BIN youre using. Its not a one size fits all answer. Ill have to defer to Decipha. If I were you, I would just input the correct injector and maf settings and go from there. the histograms will help you dial the maf curve in.
Gary Lewis

I'm confused. I'm running a stock setup with a few parameter changes, so I shouldn't have any custom code. Right?

As for the BIN, I installed AGANN/YER2 into the PCM and then tweaked it with BE. That created the BE tune file that is in the PCM now. Which is the BIN - right?

So wouldn't I just read that and then modify it instead of downloading something else and starting over?
Gary Lewis

Ok, I've downloaded TPRT and installed it. Then I went through the setup as described on the How To: Getting Started page. However, while the MongoosePro Ford is mentioned I don't really see how to configure TPRT for it in the writeup. So if anyone has any guidance on how to set up for it I'd appreciate it.

Also, I am confused about PCMflash &/or MMCFlasher. Is one or the other of them needed with a Mongoose Pro?

Last, I'm assuming that TPRT does datalogging via a USB port. While I have the analog output of my wideband tied into the EGR port of my PCM, it doesn't work. Core Tuning took a look and said my PCM uses a different kind of EGR port and it isn't compatible with a 0 - 5v signal. So I've been using a serial/USB connection. Will this work with TPRT?

Thanks again. Sorry to be so needy.
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

tunerpro doeant interface with the goose. You need pcmflash to read and write that.

You can read the tune off the ecu using a quarterhorse

since all u have is the goose and no qh you might as well stick with what you have

otherwise if u wanted to swap youd need a quarterhorse and premium membership
Gary Lewis

Thank you, Decipha. I appreciate your guidance and I'll take it and stick with BE. But I'll still do my best to get my head around the your excellent instructions.

Do you have a table that shows what function #'s relate to each of your descriptions?