My 4R70W

For anything machine shop / speed shop or engine specific. More technical than the range but not quite tuning specific.
RIKIL
Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, 4R70W (converted), Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

My 4R70W

Unread post by RIKIL »

I am starting to think about working on my 4R70W again. In the previous thread about my trans, can't find that thread, you said the reason why the trans stops shifting after about 10 miles could be a problem with the valve body. If that does turn out to be the case, is the valve body something I can remove from the transmission while the transmission is still in the truck or is this something I would need to remove the trans for? I know there are some
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: My 4R70W

Unread post by decipha »

just drop the pan and unbolt the vb no prob
RIKIL
Vehicle Information: Red, 1992 F150, 351W, 4R70W (converted), Vortech V-2 Si trim blower, Snow Performance water/meth injection system, custom cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Twisted Wedge 205cc heads, shorty full-length headers, MASS Air (converted), tuning with QuarterhorseRT, 4x4, short bed, 33" tires

Unread post by RIKIL »

I been thinking about my trans for a few weeks and fixing it. I really have no desire to take this thing apart and try and figure out what the fuck is wrong with it, I'd really like to be able to just drive the damn truck. It was a couple of years ago when I went against your advice and bought my current trans from transdepot thinking things would be fine.

I drove the truck Tuesday, about 4 or 5 miles. That was the first time I had driven it in about a year. There were some shifts between first and second that were a bit hard but I think it just needed some fluid. Then I drove it again today (Wednesday) and it felt a lot better, no hard shifts, but I didn't drive it too far and I am fairly confident it still has the shifting problem I noticed a year ago. It's not like it will just fix itself. I still don't feel like getting under there and trying to dissect this thing piece by piece while trans fluid drips on my face. I am not a transmission mechanic and I could see myself chasing this problem and working on this until I die, which I don't want.

What would you suggest if I were to get a replacement 4R70W for my truck, where would I get one that I can consider reliable that I can bolt up and just start driving? I'm figuring this will be about $1500 or $2000. A lot less than what I paid for the POS I have in there now.
RIKIL

Unread post by RIKIL »

I have been driving the truck short distances lately. The trans is worse than a year ago. What does it mean when I am at a stop and when I am ready to go, the trans will not shift into first gear unless I put the shifter into 1st gear? After it gets into first gear, it will shift into second. This happens before the truck reaches 200 degrees, not even up to where the fans will turn on.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

Sounds like an internal pressure leak. I'd start by going through the valve body. Do you have the check balls in the correct spots?
RIKIL

Unread post by RIKIL »

When you ask if I have the check balls in the right spots...I had ordered this trans from a company in Florida and installed it...the most modification I have done to it was to drop the pan and switch out the solenoid you told me to, I have not got deeper into the trans than that so I don't know of the check balls are in the right spot or not.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

ah i see. Yeah send it back to them in FL and get them to shoot you another.