Which WB reading to trust?

Used only on the 03/04 Marauder but can be used on any 03/04 ecu with code changes. Uses newer style SCP array so will not control cluster correctly on 2004 and older fords that use the older style SCP array such as mustangs.
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

Which WB reading to trust?

Unread post by m-barans »

Currently my car has an AEM failsafe wideband gauge/ sensor and the gauged output has been wired to the EGR input as to data-log the reading in the dashboard. I selected WBo2 AEM_FS on the dash board as it seems to most closely match the digital gauged readout. I noticed that the digital gauge reads approximately .99 - 1.0 Lambda while the dashboard PID reads approximately 1.03-1.04 Lambda or about a 5% difference. I'm concerned as I don't know which one to trust. The digital gauge readout seems to be representative of the Closed Loop "switching" around stoich... Is there a way to calibrate this PID so that the two match? I'm getting ready to start spending some seat time and work on getting my "tune" dialed in and I one of my goals was to calibrate the MAF transfer function by making "Open Loop" corrections. I'm concerned that fighting a WB PID with 5% difference from actual will negate efforts there. Also, Is there a histogram or way to graph MAF voltage and/or A/D counts during a forced "Open Loop" condition that is convenient for figuring fueling error at each MAF breakpoint? I'm just starting to learn and get more familiar with the TunerPro RT data logging tools. Any insight and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks
decipha
Vehicle Information: Work Truck
'19 F-150 3.3L

Re: Which WB reading to trust?

Unread post by decipha »

WIdeband most importantly has to match at WOT, idle isn't as much a concern since the o2s take care of all that and that minor 4% variance at idle isn't a big deal as on some vehicles the wideband won't even read at idle. But yes its always best to get it as accurate as you can so long as you don't throw it off up top where it really matters. You can calibrate it by following the instructions in the write up - http://www.efidynotuning.com/config.htm

No need in putting the vehicle in open loop. The fuel error calculates in open loop or closed loop it makes no difference as the fuel error is calculated the
exact same way. The histogram will show you your fuel error even while at WOT. Simply apply that correction to the maf transfer.
m-barans
Vehicle Information: 2003 Mercury Marauder 300A with new stock bore IRON 4.6 block, Manley crank, Manley H-tuff h-beam rods, CP pistons with stainless rings, ARP head studs, GT500 lash adjusters and rollers, D series cylinder heads, VMP GEN3R 2.65 L TVS blower, 80 lb/hr FRPP Siemens Deka injectors, HPX slot 100mm MAF, coyote mustang fuel pump with Holley 60 psi filter/regulator return at pump, Stainless works long tube headers and complete exhaust, Moates quarter horse and TunerPro RT with support from Decipha, RZASA strategy.

2001 Ford Lightning SVT F-150 stock engine w/ inlet ported M112, GT500 rollers, ARP head studs, metco quick change upper pulley with stock sized upper, K&N intake system, bassani SS exhaust system from the stock manifold flanges back. 4x4 trans oil pan. SSBC big brakes 14” up front. Work/Street truck. My “next to build” with trick flow heads (before extinction) with h-beams & cobra jet crank (sitting in tool box) and proper pistons. Next up after the marauder is dialed in.

I will take a look at that write-up in the link and see if I can validate that the WB transfer is correct. I noticed the 5% difference under acceleration conditions as well. Thanks

As far as the dialing in the MAF transfer function goes, which histogram should I be looking for? I'm guessing there is one that shows the 30 MAF points and and a correction factor at each? Admittedly, figuring out which tool in the tool box and how to use it seems to be most of my challenge.
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yep
m-barans

Following up: After reading reports of others having similar concerns with the AEM failsafe gauge I confirmed that the correct WBo2 transfer function was present and updated the equation by a factor of X.XX as outlined in your write-up. Now the Dashboard reading compared to the gauge is on the money. Thank you for the assistance.

I’m currently working off of the TP_IMAF_AEM-FS histogram to dial the MAF transfer function in.

Just curious as to what the x axis column designations represent ( -1, 0, 1) , I’m guessing it is something like CT, PT and WOT?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

yep
m-barans

Im wondering what should be the desired target value(s) for the MAF correction histogram? 0.98? 1.01? And/or when to consider it corrected?
decipha
'19 F-150 3.3L

Unread post by decipha »

thats up to you to decide you could literally go making 1% corrections for the rest of your life if you choose but generally anything < 1.03% should be fine. Best to remove any fuel that has less than 1.00 corrections though.